Friday, February 12, 2016

Music at the Cambridge Science Festival!

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Shantasia Jones and I am currently a senior at the Community Charter School of Cambridge. I am currently interning with the Cambridge Science Festival. I find what they do here absolutely astounding because I get to see the different functions of the MIT Museum and how the festival operates. I am truly grateful to have this opportunity of interning at the Cambridge Science Festival because I know that science is all around us on our journey of everyday life, and to learn more about it makes me so excited.

One of my personal passions is music - What is the purpose of music? What does it mean for us? What does it mean for the listeners, the audience? As for me, I always listen to music whether I'm doing my homework, on the train, or even doing laundry. Music creates a mood. It gives you a creative mind outlook!

But wait, before I get too deep in my thoughts, let me explain the basics on how we are able to hear music. Sounds are different noises that come together to create energy that soon turns into an array of vibrations. In order for this process to end up being successful, you will always need to have air. Conveniently, we breathe in air so that will never be a problem. The formula for sound can be viewed as an equation: Energy+Vibrations+air = Sound, but if you eliminate air from the equation you get Energy+Vibration-air = No sound. Perhaps no human life as well? Just kidding!

Anyways, the air around you carry the vibrations, which is why air is so essential.
The creativity found with a music note would be lost without science. New science and technology allows me to carry music around with me, allows me to listen to new styles and music from all around the world and different cultures.

Most importantly to me, music puts me in a state of mind where I can think. While listening to music, I feel anything is possible! Music gives me space to imagine and create. For example, if you were listening to the sounds of waves you might imagine a seabird in its natural habitat by the seashore. This could bring you further curiosity and questions about sea-life and biology. Without curiosity and questions, the science would be meaningless.

If you were to listen to music with a harsher beat, the harsher sound could connect to a different mood, leading you to imagine a lion in the wilderness chasing its prey. Or, perhaps, a techno beat illustrates how far music production and digitization has come in the last century.

Music has an impact on individuals minds that can open doors to an extravagant world in science and technology.

Try it, turn up your music, and see what comes to mind. Don't forget to buckle up because it might be a crazy ride or come hang out with us and experience what your brain has to offer!



Here are some of our Cambridge Science Festival events about MUSIC!
Youth Balinese Gamelan Workshop
Soundscience Fun!
Giants of Science
Science, Music, and the Art of Creative Thinking
Harbinger of Spring

See full Schedule of Events here.












No comments:

Post a Comment